Saturday, February 5, 2011

Pastries for Breakfast

I got up early this morning to wander around the town square while it was still quiet (I wanted to take some pictures before the hustle and bustle started). Some of the shopkeepers were just starting to open up including one of my favorite shops in Europe - the pastry shops! The other two favorites are the bread shops and the cheese shops. One thing quite different from back home is that there are a lot of smaller bakeries around everywhere you go.  It seems like there are several on every street – at least on the main streets.  I love European pastries!  Below are photos showing two fine examples of what I’m talking about.

Pastrys_sm
This is just a small sample of the fine delectables on offer at these shops.

Pastry
This tasty pastry (held in my hand for this picture) was wonderful.  It had a really smooth icing with creamy custard on the inside. The pastry itself as light as air and practically melted in your mouth.  It was slightly warm having been made fresh just a short time before I got there.  It was so worth 2 Euros!!

2 comments:

  1. That looks good! I would have thought you'd go for sausages and cheese, though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I hear ya! But I do sausages and cheese for lunch, dinner, mid-day snacks and right before bed. It's important to get a little variety so I try to work in a pastry now and then :-)

    ReplyDelete